21st Street Bike Rack Blog

A blog about the bike rack on West 21st Street between 8th and 9th Avenues in New York City, and about urban bike usage, bike theft, and security

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Good lock, bad cable


Good lock bad cable
Originally uploaded by jimn.
It's convenient to lock both wheels and the frame with one solid cable and a good lock. This American padlock is very good, but the thief cut through the half-inch cable cleanly.

There is a pattern here that has been repeated several times. As soon as a new bike appears on the rack, if it's not locked properly, it will be stolen within a couple of days, or whatever part isn't locked properly will be stolen.

What could I do about that?

3 Comments:

Blogger MSP Biker said...

Your blog terrifies me. I use a regular old Kryptonite u-lock for my frame, and a cable for my wheels, but now I see it's not enough. I've gotta go get a better u-lock, maybe use two? The big one for the front wheel/frame, and the second for the rear wheel? Sheesh. Bike thieves are dicks.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Jim N said...

In New York, U-locks are only good for really cheap bikes that aren't mountian bikes. I once saw a guy breaking a U-lock with a 2x4, in front of dozens of people.

I think if you get a better locking system than other people, you will be safe. Even a crappy second lock of a different kind would mean the thief would have to carry a variety of tools.

I have an 8-pound Kryptonite chain lock, but I usually don't carry it with me, just leave it on the rack and carry a mini U-lock and cable.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have several locks but none of them are really secure. When I go into town I tend to take my old Raleigh. It's usually the least desirable bike there so is probably less likely to get pinched.

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home